Sunday, May 27, 2012

Buzzard

EASTERN TURKEY VULTURE (CATHARTES AURA SEPTENTRIONALIS), PORCUPINE MOUNTAINS WILDERNESS STATE PARK, MICHIGAN, MAY 26, 2012

Pentax K-5
SMC Pentax-DA 55-300 at 300mm
1/180 sec. f11 with flash
ISO 1600

This vulture is the windup to Joe and Mary Rogers' popular traveling raptor show, an adjunct to their Wildlife Recovery Association. They rehabilitate wounded and sick hawks, owls and eagles, and provide a permanent home for those unfit to be released back into the wild. Vultures often vomit copiously as a defensive maneuver, and yesterday the crowd at the Porcupine Mountains State Park learned exactly how disagreeable buzzard puke can be.

1 comment:

SteveR said...

Sorry I missed that. We went to a "bird show" a few years back that featured a TV. I was sock-less, in the front row, and the vulture made a beeline for my ankles, the handler in chase. Upon arriving home, I washed both my feet and my sneakers. :-)