Saturday, August 6, 2011

Hummer No. 3

RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD, GREEN, MICHIGAN, JUNE 6, 2011

Pentax K-5
Pentax SMC-DA 55-300 at 300mm
1/180 sec. f6.3 with on-board flash
ISO 400

One of these days I will capture a male hummingbird in all his iridescent red splendor without a distracting plastic feeder in the frame, but for now this will do. I found the shot, taken two months ago, while rooting around in the computer for something else. It was taken through the picture window of our cabin.

2 comments:

Netagene said...

Almost looks unreal! What a close-up though! I didn't put out my feeder this year. My sister did (2 miles away) and even at that, she's had hardly any hummers this year.

Netagene said...

I finally put out a feeder 2 weeks ago - and boy! are the little hummers out in force! I took a few pictures last year, but can't take good pictures through a screen (as you know!), and mosquitoes are out in force so I can't sit or stand outside and wait to take a picture.