Monday, July 13, 2009

Gull No. 3


RING-BILLED GULL, ONTONAGON, MICHIGAN, JULY 13, 2009

Pentax K20D
SMC Pentax-F* 300mm f4.5 ED (IF)
1/1000 sec. f9.5
ISO 400

It occured to me this morning that the reason I'm having such a hard time getting sharp, detailed close-up shots of birds and other wildlife is that I'm not taking them in zoos and aviaries, as most skilled amateurs do. Pro wildlife photographers who go out in the boonies and get good stuff have incredible reserves of patience and canny stalking skills as well as big and costly 1000mm telephotos. None of which I have, but once in a while I get a keeper of a shot, and maybe this is one.

1 comment:

Pilot Pete said...

I can't think of a more aerodynamic bird than a gull. There's nothing protruding into the slipstream to slow it down. Its landing gear is beautifully faired into the tail.